Skip to main content

Migraines--- Oh Calgon take me away...


Living with daily migraines = Really bad days ! 

Related image



As a child, I grew up where a Calgon soap bath commercial seemed to take all your cares away. On my end, I wish they could take my migraines away.

Never seen the commercial? Have a look Calgon 1970s commercial

A quick into, so I just turned 48 and there are days I feel like I turned 94. Migraines have spiraled out of control over the last 14 months. I was diagnosed with Migraines last summer, my Neurologist said, wow, you've been suffering for a long time, how were you coping?

I wasn't.. I was trying my best to remain calm and carry on.. I had no clue my head aches were migraines, for a long time, I thought they were just head or sinus aches that no tylenol or advil or other over the counter could help me fix.

So last summer, I started on a preventative treatment hoping to reduce the frequency of the migraines:
-400mg of B2
-400mg of Magnesium
-Low dose antidepressant (Aventyl)

It seemed to be working for a while, I went from 5-6 days a week to 2-3 days a week, It wasn't perfect, but at least it was a bit less. But then they crept up back to 5-6 per week... and my Neurologist said, well they must be hormonal induced and there isn't much else we can do. Oh and by the way, in 6 months, you should stop this treatment ... OMG WHAT???

November and December passed and I was feeling like this was still increasing, 5-6 per week. I felt horrible, had no patience, just wanted to bit everyone's head off. No tolerance or energy left. I chose to go seek a Naturopath, there had to be solutions out there... I couldn't imagine going on much longer. 

My Naturopath made me do some genetic testing and a food allergy test... This is where I was surprised to find out that I have many many allergens... Hey MAYBE , juts MAYBE that can be the source of my migraines... SO in February I started my Allergen free diet.

It was a bit challenging to get started on this allergen free diet but now after 3 weeks... I've seen a positive response, down to 1-3 migraines per week and keeping my fingers crossed that I might have found the source of my migraine headaches.

My list of Allergens:

  • MILK all of them, it's the casein protein that is my issue, not lactate, so no more dairy, cheese, butter for me.
  • TREE NUTS : Brazil, Cashew, Pistachio, Cola, Hazelnut, Almond
  • Wheat (Gliadin) so all wheat products are off the table including Barley 
  • Rice (OMG never heard of anyone being allergic to RICE....)
  • Malt, Yeast : So no more Beer on my menu :o(
  • Egg Whites ( seriously ??? That was one of my favorite morning proteins )
  • Pea.... seriously PEA? oh and by the way, Pea protein is in MANY Gluten free and Vegan products
  • Agar, AloeVera, Ginko, 
  • Then I need to limit: White Beans, Oranges, Figs, Oats, Espargette & Kiwi 
So off I go, starting my fourth week of this allergen free diet and keeping my fingers crossed that this will resolve my migraines. 

I'll be chatting about my journey and learning as I have many things to learn. Follow along if your interested on seeing how my journey goes.

France xxx



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shrimp Salad _Gluten, Dairy, Rice, Tree Nut, Eggs allergen free

So I am working hard on changing my routine and finding creative ways to create new salads. Nothing worst than having the same things over and over. Tonight I built this salad, a quick and easy one that was just delicious. Ingredients: (4 portions) -4 Cups of baby greens (Mix of salads) -4 Cooked Beets -half a pack of Alfalfa sprouts (Aqua Fuchia) -40 Shrimps boiled and cut into pieces Then everyone can chose their own salad dressing. Typically I make my own, but for this salad I chose one of my favorites from Renée's Gourmet. It's Sweet Onion Vinaigrette. It has no artificial colors, is Trans fat-free, Cholesterol Free, low in Saturated fats, Dairy free, Egg free, Gluten free and Vegan Ingredients: Water, Sugar, Vinegars (White, Cider) Canola Oil, Fresh (Onions, Salt, Key Lime Juice from concentrate, dried vegetables, Red Bell pepers, Carrots, Onion, Xanthan Gum,  Seasoning Herbs and Spices. I was actually happy to see that I didn't have to elimin

BLONDIE DESERT : Gluten, Rice, Nuts, Egg & Dairy Free

Good day bloggers, today I bakes some allergen free BLONDIES. Ok, in all honesty, I will not win a cooking contest with this recipe, but it was appreciated by the boys, so I am taking this as a positive test. I didn't start from scratch on this one, as I was looking for something quick and easy, so yes that did work perfectly. Products used: Baking Co, Blondie Gourmet Mix (Glutten & Rice Free) VeganEgg egg substitut (Gluten Free) Canola oil as the butter substitut Cuisine Camino Semi-Sweet Chocolat Chips (Free of Gluten, Milk, Nuts) 2 main ingredients : Ingredients in each item: Baking Co Gluten & Rice Free Blondie Gourmet Mix: Brown Sugra, Gluten Free Flour (premium cassava flour, unmodified patato starch, organic coconut flour, xantham gum), Baking powder (raising agents: sodium acid pyrophosphotate, sodium bicarbonate, corn starch and monocalcium phosphate) Sea Salt, Vanilla Flavor. VeganEgg: Organic soymilk powder (organic soybeans